LLC Formation Blog Featured Image - Litmus Business Solution

Opening a company in the USA is an excellent way to expand your business overseas. Registering a USA LLC (limited liability company) is the most effective way to open a company in the USA for a non-US citizen. Anyone can register an LLC in the USA; you do not need to be a US citizen or a US company.

3750 international entrepreneurs have used Litmus Business services to set up an LLC, set up a business bank account, and get a US mailing address for their business.

Steps to create an LLC in United States

1. Choose a business name:

Your LLC’s name must be unique and cannot be the same as or confusingly similar to any other business name on file with the state. Most states require that the name must contain the words “limited liability company” or the abbreviation “LLC.” You can check the availability of a business name by conducting a name search with the state government agency that handles business filings.

2. Choose a registered agent:

A registered agent is a person or business that agrees to accept legal documents on behalf of your USA LLC. This can be you, a member of your LLC, or a third-party service.

3. File articles of organization:

You will need to file articles of organization with the state government agency that handles business filings. This document provides basic information about your LLC, such as its name, purpose, and the names and addresses of the members.

4. Create an operating agreement:

An operating agreement is a document that outlines how your LLC will be run. It is not required in all states, but it is a good idea to have one because it helps establish the rights and responsibilities of the members and can help prevent disputes.

5. Obtain any necessary licenses and permits:

Depending on your business activities, you may need to obtain licenses or permits from the federal, state, or local government.

6. Comply with ongoing reporting and tax requirements:

LLCs are required to file annual reports with the state and pay any applicable taxes.

I hope this helps! So next step is to get your EIN (Employer Identification Number).

How to get my EIN

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to business entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification. If you are a business owner in the United States and you need to get an EIN, you can do so by following these steps:

1. Applying online on the IRS website:

You can apply for an EIN online through the IRS website. You will need to provide basic information about your business, such as the business name and address, as well as your personal information. This is the fastest way to get an EIN.

2. Applying by fax:

You can also apply for an EIN by fax by filling out Form SS-4 and faxing it to the IRS at (855) 641-6935.

3. Applying by mail:

You can apply for an EIN by mailing Form SS-4 to the IRS. You can download this form from the IRS website or request it to be mailed to you.

4. Applying by phone:

You can also apply for an EIN by calling the IRS at (800) 829-4933. This option is only available to businesses located in the United States and its territories.

5. Applying in person:

If you are located in the United States or its territories, you can apply for an EIN in person by visiting your local IRS office.


EINs (Employer Identification Numbers) are tax IDs that are issued to LLCs.

In order to obtain an EIN, you do not need a Social Security number or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN).

Non-resident entrepreneurs can apply by fax or mail for an EIN, even though these identification numbers allow for the IRS’s online application process to get an EIN.

Next Step, Its time to open a Bank Account.

How to Open US Bank Account

It is generally possible for US non-residents to open a bank account in the US, although the process may vary depending on the bank and the individual’s circumstances. Here are the steps you can follow to open a bank account as a non-resident in the US:

  1. Articles of Organizations
  2. Operating Agreement
  3. EIN (Employer Identification Number)
  4. US Mailing and Registered Address
  5. US Phone Number
  6. Proof of ID i.e. Passport or Driving License


Next Step, is to understand your Tax Obligations

Get ready to file your US Tax Return

It is the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that creates the tax code and regulations for LLCs. There is a tax based on the number of members in an LLC owned by a foreigner.

LLCs with only one member are single-member LLCs. LLC owners who are non-residents must file forms 1040-NR, 5472, and 1120.

An LLC with more than one member is called a multi-member LLC. It is required that multi-member LLCs file Forms 1040-NR, Form 5472, and Form 1065 with the IRS.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *